Bug Idea for part of server lag [ill be updating here on any theory's of possible server lag]

Forte

Cabinboy
Renown
With the bug in game atm where you can return to a fresh instance of a voyage with perks from the start, i believe the server is holding onto this information rather than clearing it after the voyage is over. After a server reset happens it seems that these perk filled runs get reset as well so it could be information the server is unnecessarily looking at. I've run loads of voyages and noticed these changes after every server restart.

The perk bug itself i believe is tied to the server not clearing perks for the ship portion of a voyage after its over. i've been able to reproduce this bug over and over by leaving my single man group then entering the voyage to reset the run and put me into a new instance, sometimes getting a voyage room server that i used previously and kept the perks from. as this happens sometimes ill encounter the same 1 voyage server multiple times over leading to stacked runs where i have far too many and overpowered perks for the run, also want to mention that silver isnt cleared as well so im able to buy loads of perks as i go along.

ill be doing voyages for most of today so ill add any other factors that pop up
-Forte (since my dumb self forgot to set my username here to forte)

OP
Forte

Forte

Cabinboy
Renown
So update on things,

another idea for a source of server lag count be trees! sometimes when harvesting trees, after when you go to replant a new set, you cant place any trees in spots where the old trees were planted, this also seems to get fixed after server restarts, so i believe the server may be holding onto unnecessary info here that both adds to lag as its paying attention to these shadow trees, and blocks players from replanting as it things the spot is filled already

not sure as to the cause of these shadow trees, as ive replanted in the same spots after resets and had no issues

OP
Forte

Forte

Cabinboy
Renown
New update to add to the first bug, ive noticed that ive entered voyages and had perks from a pvp match that shouldnt be obtainable in pve atm (fire cannonballs). This additional info kept by the server may be adding to lag
image_2022-08-06_031342058.png

OP
Forte

Forte

Cabinboy
Renown
Another thought for server lag, with so many squared of the map hopefully the AI in other areas are not being active or looked at by the server while there are 0 players in the area

EDIT: After experimenting going back and forth between water maps and keeping track of the positions of npc's ive confirmed that server resources are being used to keep them active even if theres no players in the area. During this test i made sure it was the same server then room that i was moving into, along with looking at the player count for the area to make sure i was the only one there

Also adding to this, ive noticed NPC ships moving sometimes an incredible amount of distance across the water on these wide open maps so the time for the server to keep track of their pathing and movement could be factoring in here as well

Last edited:

Mike

Landlubber
Arcane Waters Team
Renown
Just wanted to say I really appreciate these suggestions, you very well might be on the right track here and I've asked the team to review your posts and look into this further

OP
Forte

Forte

Cabinboy
Renown
Just wanted to say I really appreciate these suggestions, you very well might be on the right track here and I've asked the team to review your posts and look into this further
no problem, im wicked new to coding myself but i like to work on a few small projects in my spare time and ive really enjoyed this game so ive been spending a fair bit of time to think of causes of lag and testing theorys, ill be continuing to update this post with more ideas as i keep searching throughout today too

OP
Forte

Forte

Cabinboy
Renown
Smaller one here now, it looks like a small bit of resources are used to check up on the pvp arena's, even when no one is there the timers for pregame is counting down so with that in mind the server could very well be checking in on unneeded things there when players aren't present
1659815517571.png

OP
Forte

Forte

Cabinboy
Renown
Another idea now with the previous npc theory in mind,

For crops im not sure how its coded out but, how they work now is you plant em, water em then harvest, with growing intervals in between, im not sure how the code is but im guessing each plant gets its own growth timer that the server keeps track of, while that works plenty fine with the player there so they can see the progress of the crop growing, if the player isnt on the map would it help if the server kept track of the current growth timer then updated when any player returns to the farm by comparing the server time when last seen to current server time and updating the growth to the player then

that way the server isnt paying attention 24/7 to these tons of crops by loads of players